+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stage 6 mk2 pro tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Stage 6 mk2 pro tuning

Hi does anyone on this forum own a stage 6 mk2 pro at all regardless or the bike its on, I'm having a really hard time setting up my kit its really annoying me now getting close to putting a hammer the thing, would be grateful if someone could tell me the settings they are running if they own one of these kits, no body seems to want to help at all you ring pedparts and they dont want to know they would rather you travel half way across the country for them to "look at it" they shouldn't sell people these kits if they dont want to give any information on how to set them up i'm not buying a single tuning part of them again, i also spent 90 on stage 6 clocks that have a mind of their own, be warned when things go wrong they dont want to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by christoffee93 View Post
    Hi does anyone on this forum own a stage 6 mk2 pro at all regardless or the bike its on, I'm having a really hard time setting up my kit its really annoying me now getting close to putting a hammer the thing, would be grateful if someone could tell me the settings they are running if they own one of these kits, no body seems to want to help at all you ring pedparts and they dont want to know they would rather you travel half way across the country for them to "look at it" they shouldn't sell people these kits if they dont want to give any information on how to set them up i'm not buying a single tuning part of them again, i also spent 90 on stage 6 clocks that have a mind of their own, be warned when things go wrong they dont want to know.
    Hi chris,
    it's difficult for any shop to give you anything other than very basic advice on what may be wrong without seeing the bike- if you have specific questions like 'is this exhaust suitable' or 'what oil mixture should i be running' or 'is this crank strong enough' these are specific questions which can be easily answered.
    Setting up and jetting questions can't really be answered except at a very basic level. If a shop guesses and tells you to fit a certain jet and the bike siezes then the customer says 'you told me to fit this jet, my bike seized, you are responsible'
    For this reason some parts shop have a policy to give out no advice whatsoever.
    It's highly unlikely that your cylinder kit itself will be faulty and when it comes to fitting parts which are non-standard and high performance it's all about the setting up which can only come through experience. There's nothing wrong with trying to fit them yourself if you are competent and know the risks but the advice is always that unless you know exactly what you're doing aftermarket parts should be fitted professionally (this is why scooter repair shops exist of course).
    The same would apply for the clocks, if you choose to fit them yourself you have to follow the instructions through step by step very carefully. If there is still a problem afterwards which you think is due to the clocks being faulty you can simply return them to the shop and ask them to be tested.
    Realistically there is very unlikely to be anything wrong with either of the items and it will most probably be due to not being set up properly which cannot the fault of the parts themselves- if you believe parts themselves to be faulty they can simply be returned for testing
    cheers,
    andy

Post Thanks / Like
    you ring pedparts and they dont want to know they would rather you travel half way across the country for them to "look at it" they shouldn't sell people these kits if they dont want to give any information on how to set them up i'm not buying a single tuning part of them again, i also spent 90 on stage 6 clocks that have a mind of their own, be warned when things go wrong they dont want to know.
    Bit harsh to be fair chap and andy cleared a few things up for you in his post.

i brought a carb from pedparts, turned out to be faulty and ( i think it was in fact andy i delt with via email ) sent me a replacement immediately....he even offered me a better stage6 carb if i wanted to wait for it to come into stock with no extra charge...i needed it asap so took the tnt one.

i dont want to dwell on this too long as i know pedparts is spot on for there customer service and general attitude overall...

andy is correct about the initial setup of a cylinder, its down to experience and a little bit of trial and error.....a couple of new sparkys, box of jets, box of rollers and a few days of tinkering....a shop cannot advise exactly on a specific setup for your bike, even if they have done exactly the same to an identical bike as every engine will tune differently...especially if your using an open foam filter and not the original airbox....the jetting increases a huge amount and will also require the pilot jet to be changed in some circumstances.

as for the clocks, unless they are wired up 100% correctly you will have problems.
    Last edited by derbi_pred; 21-02-13 at 11:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I normally know how to setup bikes i had a 70cc setup on my gilera runner and it ran sweet, its just this kit it does not want to be setup, the exhaust throws out white smoke and oil/tar also the plug is oily/wet but the pilot jet can manage to run lean by holding onto its revs the bike wont let me adjust enough to cancel out the oily plug and the white smoke i have manage to drop down to a 40 pilot jet but that is to lean as the revs go up and down and no amount of adjusting will change is on the 40.

Post Thanks / Like
    its just this kit it does not want to be setup, the exhaust throws out white smoke
    watercooled engine??

white smoke is an indication the head gasket has gone....not to make you out to be thick ( your not ) but you sure its not condensation in this cold weather?

Post Thanks / Like
    you sure your not running too much oil ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm running 33:1 atm 151ml of castrol power 1 racing oil to 5 liters of 98 octane fuel,the oil in the gold bottle so should be the right amount also it only smokes like this from closed to 1/4 throttle then it stops until i come back on the pilot circuit, its that horrible smoke that just lingers around in the air making you cough your ass off. even my dad doesn't know whats up with it and he's been building up bikes before he was even old enough to drive them.

pic.jpg
    Last edited by christoffee93; 21-02-13 at 07:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    why in the hell would you want to run your midrace scooter on 98 octane....you wont feel probably any difference the only thing you will feel when your cylinder walls will start cracking.98 burns at a lot higher temperature compared to 95 and tuned cylinders have so small cylinder walls because they are bored (drilled i dont know how to say it) almost to the maximum they can be.

Anyway, dont forget that in cold weather there will always be smoke , specially on cold start in cold weather and it will most likely smoke at idle even when it reached engines work temperature.
    Dripping oil is not bad but in your situation you most likely mixed too much oil put some more gas in the tank and shake your bike.Then go for a ride and give it a nice revv.
    Last edited by Aerox; 22-02-13 at 08:51 AM.
    Aerox Engine Setup

//-Malossi-// MHR Replica 70cc
    //-Malossi-// MHR Multivar
    //-Malossi-// X-Special Drivebelt
    //-Stage6-// Bearings
    //-Stage6-// Torque Control Clutch MKII
    //-Stage6-// Red Clutch Springs
    //-Stage6-// NBR Valve
    //-Stage6-// Carbon Reeds
    //-Yasuni-// c16 Black Edition Carbon
    //-Motoforce-// Carburettor 24mm
    //-Motoforce-// Intake 24mm
    //-Leo Vince-// 3.6g Rollers
    //-Hebo-// 60% Torque Spring
    //-MX-// Open air filter
    //-Tun'R-// Quick action throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    98 octane does not burn hotter than 95, don't know who told you that but it's utter crap. Octane is a measurement of a fuels resistance to detonation (or pinking/knocking). The higher the value the less likely the fuel is to explode uncontrollably instead of burn as it should, it also burns slower than 95. In short running 98 octane cannot cause any harm except for to your wallet paying for it, in fact I'm sure it says in the manual for the stage 6 racing cylinders to run 97 at least.

As for the OP's white smoke issues, are you sure you haven't trapped the head gasket O ring whilst fitting it? I have made that mistake before myself.
    If it ain't broke you obviously haven't tuned it enough

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie.
    Only 2 kinds of people own rovers
    gays and old men
    As I know own a Rover Mini, think it best to change that...

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i know but what i meant was that 98 octane is burning better and though creates better pressure rate in engine in which it sounds like a joke to run 98 octane on 70cc engine since you will not feel any difference and 98 will eventually eat the cylinder faster in time.

And i dont know how it is in UK but in my country 98 is cheaper than 95.
    Aerox Engine Setup

//-Malossi-// MHR Replica 70cc
    //-Malossi-// MHR Multivar
    //-Malossi-// X-Special Drivebelt
    //-Stage6-// Bearings
    //-Stage6-// Torque Control Clutch MKII
    //-Stage6-// Red Clutch Springs
    //-Stage6-// NBR Valve
    //-Stage6-// Carbon Reeds
    //-Yasuni-// c16 Black Edition Carbon
    //-Motoforce-// Carburettor 24mm
    //-Motoforce-// Intake 24mm